Established in 2012, the Center for Visual and Decision Informatics works in partnership with government, industry, and academia to develop the next-generation visual and decision support tools and techniques that enable decision-makers to significantly improve the way their organization's information is organized and interpreted.
- Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) through its Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/UCRC) program
- The only NSF Center with a “Visualization & Big Data Analytics” focus.
- One of 22 NSF Computer & Information Science & Engineering (CISE) sites in the US and the ONLY I/UCRC in Louisiana.
- Jointly managed by UL Lafayette under the Informatics Research Institute, Drexel University and Tampere University of Technology
- Recognized as an international I/UCRC partnership with Tampere University of Technology in Finland
Over the past three decades, Industry/University Cooperative Research Centers (I/UCRCs) have led the way to a new era of partnership between universities and industry, featuring high-quality, industrially relevant fundamental research; strong industrial support of and collaboration in research and education; and direct transfer of university developed ideas, research results, and technology to U.S. industry to improve its competitive posture in world markets. The program currently supports 69 centers in 42 states and five countries including India, Belgium, Germany, Russia and Finland.
- Completed 15 projects in 3 years that generated 36 potentially patentable and 29 potentially copyrightable discoveries
- Received 1.1 million dollars in NSF research funding including supplements for undergraduates, teachers and veterans
- Published 62 papers
- Organized first ever IEEE international conference on Big Data
- Coordinated two annual hackathons - CajunCodeFest and the Philly Code Fest
- Recognized as the first and only NSF I/UCRC to focus on Big Data
- Noted as the only I/UCRC center in Louisiana
- Successfully added an international academic research site in 2015- Tampere University of Technology in Finland
Visit the official website for more information.