Established in 2012, the Center for Visual and Decision Informatics works in partnership with government, industry, and academia to develop the next-generation visual and decision support tools and techniques that enable decision-makers to significantly improve the way their organization's data is organized and interpreted.
- Completed 128 IAB - funded projects in 10 years with 219 undergrad and graduate students
- Total center funding topped $17.2 million in Y1 -Y10
- Nominated by industry for 2 technology breakthroughs
- Published 274 CVDI-related papers, filed 111 invention disclosures, 28 patents and 6 licensing agreements
- Organized first ever IEEE international conference on Big Data
- Coordinate two annual hackathons - CajunCodeFest and the Philly Code Fest
- Recognized as the first and only NSF I/UCRC to focus on Big Data
- Noted as the only I/UCRC center in Louisiana
- Successfully added an international academic research site in 2015 - Tampere University in Finland
- Moved to Phase II of the IUCRC program on March 1, 2017, adding the University of Virginia, StonyBrook University and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte
A National Science Foundation Industry University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC)
CVDI is part of NSF IUCRC program that promotes high-quality industry relevant research and direct technology transfer of ideas, research results and technology to U.S. industry. It brings a consortium of researchers and students across multiple universities to advance research and innovation in big data with respect to Internet of Things – specifically how large scale multi-dimensional datasets are analyzed and interpreted using advanced data mining, and visual and perceptual techniques for decision makers.